Friday, March 14, 2014

take brain pictures

You know when something runs through your mind more than twice, it's time to write about it. That's what I thought when I heard a cute phrase come out of Kid President's mouth, "take brain pictures." I've been thinking lately about meditation and being more present as a means to peace and contentment.

Meditation has been on my mind (pun intended) since I had a book club with a few of my favorite people. I've always had trouble falling asleep because I haven't been able to clear my head. I've also suffered from anxiety and needed a way to calm myself down. Although I was interested in starting meditation, I hadn't taken any action yet. I thought about buying a book or taking a class, but then I heard something that I really liked that made meditation simple and profoundly effective. I think it was from a TED talk.

The basic idea was to be more present in your life. People [women especially] tend to spend their days thinking non-stop. "What am I making for dinner?" "When will hubby be home?" "I wonder if it's going to be warm enough to play outside today." and on and on. I realized I spend a lot of time inside my head, trying to make sense of things and be a better planner. After I listened to this talk, [I remember now: Andy Putticombe: All it takes is ten mindful minutes] it dawned on me that I don't often live in the moment. I plan for other moments and then when I execute those plans, I'm busy planning the next moment.

Multi-tasking is not always all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes it's good to do one thing at a time, stop, and enjoy what you're doing. Allow yourself to feel and sense and notice. During the past week, I started implementing this idea into my routines. Rather than let my mind wander during everyday tasks such as nursing the baby, doing dishes, or playing with my little guy, I began pausing and paying attention to the moment I was in. It made me grateful for such a beautiful life. This leads me back to my title. Take brain pictures. As I was living in these moments, I found it easier to recall and appreciate the beautiful things in my life. I started noticing things. I started realizing what an incredible life I have.

If you find yourself wandering and feel like you always have a busy mind, try it. Just stop, take a second to breathe, then notice what is around you. Don't think about it, analyze it, or try to change it. Just soak it in and appreciate the beautiful moment you're in.

No comments:

Post a Comment